Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Emmylou Harris on Cover Songs, Gram Parsons and Her Canadian


Country legend Emmylou Harris has made a career of picking overlooked gems from the world's best songwriters and owning them. As an interpreter, she digs deep to uncover the gentle soul and beating heart of a song; even tired staples are born anew when filtered through her crystalline voice.

However, in recent years, the 12-time Grammy Award-winner has taken to recording more of her own material. Her new disc, 'Hard Bargain, features 11 original tunes, and two covers including a title cut courtesy of Canadian songwriter Ron Sexsmith.

Emmylou Harris spoke with Spinner about that new disc, the mysterious songwriting process, her time with Gram Parsons, and her admiration for Canadian songwriters.

Maybe I was lazy, or maybe I was nervous that I wouldn't come up with something good. I knew I could write, but there were all these great songs out there by other people, ready for the plucking. Perhaps I had exhausted some of my song-finding talents, but after 'Wrecking Ball' I decided to put on my writing hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment